Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Sound of Silence is a Deafening Whisperer

David Draiman's performance in this video is extraordinary. His breath gives rise to a different spin of the lyrics and their meaning. I, for one, was fortunate to be around when Simon and Garfunkel created a unique folk song interpretation even powerful in its own time. Native to the New York tri-state area, Paul and Art illustrated the feel of the New York streets during the time of their youthful years. The Sound of Silence was their documentary of the street scene poetically stated with the addition of a haunting melody. One cannot avoid the feeling of emotion when listening to both versions.

The black and white rendition graphically depicts both visual and auditory power; both in performance and meaning. Draiman's use and control of breathing sets the stage for his dramatic debut. His masculine voice delivers hard edge emotion, captivating the listener.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree! For everything there is a time & even if the lyrics are from a different era, the musician of a new era reads them differently, hence they are presented to suit the times. I loved the Simon & Garfunkel rendition of this classic. It was theirs. They presented it, the thought, to a world eager to listen & they did it in a melodious, melancholy & careful way, almost as if they didn't want to offend anyone with the lyric.
    But these lyrics are too powerful to be left that way. David Draiman punches that home with this cover that frankly, made me gasp. And then immediately made me hit replay & listen a second time as my mind took in the images. And then I bought the song.
    I am a musician & I don't buy music randomly but I needed to have this rendition of the song to go along with my vinyl copy of the Simon & Garfunkel version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your response. Yes "Times They are A'Changin'". Each and every time I view Draiman's video,I admire his hard work and talent. Kudos to those artists and technicians who from concept to actual product, created a masterpiece.

      Delete